The blog home of speaker and writer Mindy von Atzigen

The blog home of speaker and writer Mindy von Atzigen I am a lover of words, Jesus, and His church. I am also a wife, a mom, and a friend. I hope you'll consider me yours...

My Gardener

"When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your consolations delight my soul."  - Psalms 94:19

I commented to my husband this morning that with my poor gardening skills, weeds are the only thing that seem to grow for me without a great deal of effort.  He responded, "That's true for everyone.  I've never heard anybody say, 'Man, I just can't keep those roses out of my yard!'"

Our conversation made me laugh, but the truth of it is ringing in my soul today.  The seeds that need to grow in my heart are often the ones I neglect, while the crops that spring up without any care on my end are the ones I really don't want to be harvesting.

Especially the seeds of worry.

I don't have to work hard to get a worry harvest.  It seems to come faithfully, all by itself.  And what an abundant crop it can be, multiplying again and again from one small, errant thought.

It's why Psalm 94:19  is such a balm to my heart. 

When my anxious thoughts are threatening to stomp out all of the life within my soul, He comes like the gentle gardener that He is. 

And prunes. 

And burns. 

And breathes. 

And nurtures.

And grows.

What a relief to give Him the harvest I do not want today, and receive instead the beautiful fruit in His outstretched hand.