The blog home of speaker and writer Mindy von Atzigen

The blog home of speaker and writer Mindy von Atzigen I am a lover of words, Jesus, and His church. I am also a wife, a mom, and a friend. I hope you'll consider me yours...

Family Legacies

Don't you see that children are God’s best gift?
the fruit of the womb his generous legacy?
Like a warrior’s fistful of arrows
are the children of a vigorous youth.
Oh, how blessed are you parents,
with your quivers full of children!
Your enemies don’t stand a chance against you;
you’ll sweep them right off your doorstep. 

                                               - Psalms 127:3-5, The Message Bible


My newest nephew was born yesterday.  It's probably the last one on this side of the family, which made the experience of holding that new bundle of love especially poignant.

A generation of children have been born to me and my siblings. 

A generation of grandchildren have been added to my parents' family tree.

A quiver full of arrows flying out into the world, bringing the Kingdom to hungry hearts. 

Oh, the privilege of being a link in the chain.  From one generation to the next.  Ceilings becoming floors and batons being passed right down the track to the finish line. 

The sacred privilege of learning from the ones who came before, adding to it measure upon measure, and investing it into the ones who come after.

Let not my heart take it for granted.