The blog home of speaker and writer Mindy von Atzigen

The blog home of speaker and writer Mindy von Atzigen I am a lover of words, Jesus, and His church. I am also a wife, a mom, and a friend. I hope you'll consider me yours...

The Mystery of One Flesh

"And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again."   - 2 Corinthians 5:15

Sometimes it helps to put Scripture in a personal context.  "And he died for me, that I should no longer live for myself but for him who died for me and was raised again."

It also sometimes helps to focus on only a few words.  "That I should no longer live for myself, but for Him."

I understand this best when I look at my life as a single woman compared to my life as it is joined with another human, creating that mysterious "one flesh."

Before I was married, my choices were just that.  They were mine.  If they stayed that way after marriage, we would definitely have a problem.

Out of love and honor for him, I consult my husband on anything important, and often on things seemingly unimportant.  Out of love and honor for me, he does the same.  Just this morning, as I passed through the living room and saw him in his recliner with his fuzzy morning hair and cup of coffee in hand, I was overcome with the thought, "There's not another person in the world I would rather have joined myself to."  And that is exactly what I've done.  I've joined myself to him.  I am no longer one person making my own choices.  I am half of one flesh, as we make our choices. 

And Paul says it is the same for Christ and His church (Ephesians 5:31-32), which means I am joined to Jesus in the same way.  I no longer live for myself, but for Him.

He has already laid down His life for me, tenderly illustrating His passionate love for me on an intensely painful cross.  He has already proven His ability to be trusted, gloriously defeating sin and the grave through the resurrection.

Oh, my Jesus.  Such a glorious King.  Such a trusted friend.  Such a tender lover of my soul.

Truly, there's not another person in the world I would rather have joined myself to

Because that is true, why would I live any other way than for Him?  What could possibly be gained by living for myself?  How could I make even one decision on my own, without considering His desires? 

Out of love and honor for Him, I must not forget that I am no longer one person making my choices, but half of one flesh with the One who loves me most.

"And he died for me, that I should no longer live for myself but for him who died for me and was raised again."