The blog home of speaker and writer Mindy von Atzigen

The blog home of speaker and writer Mindy von Atzigen I am a lover of words, Jesus, and His church. I am also a wife, a mom, and a friend. I hope you'll consider me yours...

Prayers for the First Day of School



Author's Note:  Four years into blogging "Treasure the Ordinary," and these posts are still the ones that are accessed the most by readers.  So, here they are together in one place, making it easy to print out and post them in a place you'll see often and be reminded of the power of blessing...


First Day of School Blessings for Children
All the backpacks are lined up by the front door.  The first day of school clothes are waiting on their hangers.  The crayons are pointed and unbroken.


My birds are asleep in the nest, ready to fly away tomorrow.  And it's this hour that a Mama kneels and prays.  She prays that the small wings will be strong as they carry her precious ones into a world not always hospitable to young things.  She prays that His breath will blow, lifting them higher, above the reach of that which would entangle. 


And she prays that they will fly safely home again.


Mama bird blessings:
  • I Bless You with courage. (Joshua 1:3-9)
  • I Bless You with the Father's protection. (Ps. 91)
  • I Bless You with a Godly child’s heart that respects and honors his parents and authority.
  • I Bless You with the Holy Spirit’s marking your life so that you stand out in a crowd.
  • I Bless You with the favor of God on your life so that others want to go out of their way to do you good.
  • I Bless You that people speak to you with kindness and honor.
  • I Bless You with confidence in your looks and abilities: you will like who God made you to be.
  • I Bless You with strategies of the Lord for your future.
  • I Bless You with purity in thought, speech, and action.
  • I Bless You with confidence and a complete lack of fear of man.
  • I Bless You with the ability to be a good friend.
  • I Bless You with the ability to be grieved by sin and the desire to make all things right with the Father.
  • I Bless You with truthful lips.
  • I Bless You with the ability to honor those around you, even when it costs you.
  • I Bless You with the knowledge that you are a joy to your parents and that they are proud of you.
  • I Bless You with the knowledge of the Father’s unconditional love for you and your parents’ unconditional love for you.
  • I Bless You with the desire to pray at all times, with all kinds of prayers.
  • I Bless You with the spirit of a warrior, a Godly warrior.
  • I Bless You to be a blessing to everyone you meet.




First Day of School Blessings for Teachers
This morning, my husband and I stood on the front porch and watched our sixteen year old drive himself to school.  You would think as many years as we've been sending kids off on their first day of school, we wouldn't have "first day jitters" anymore.  But, they're still there. 

New year.  New grade levels.  New friends.  New habits.  New teachers.

We are sending our most valuable treasures out into the world to be taught and shaped and mentored by teachers who didn't bring them into the world, wash their clothes this weekend, or put the breakfast on the table this morning.  Teachers who care about them, but aren't their parents.  Teachers who want to see them succeed, but don't have a lifetime of equity built with them.  Teachers who can't focus on four children like we do at our house, but have an entire classroom to take care of.

And that's why I take a few minutes today to bless my children on the first day of school, but also the teachers who are entering my children's lives today:

I bless you to see the value in each of your students, the God-given gifts in each one.

I bless you with patience in your heart today, and that it will be expressed in your face and in your voice.

I bless you with joy today, the kind of joy that can laugh at the moments that didn't go your way and exalt in the moments of success.

I bless you with peace in your classroom today, the kind that can be felt when students walk in the door.

I bless you with the ability to make learning a contagious source of wonder.

I bless you with the skills to communicate well with your students, their parents,  and your peers.

I bless you with renewed vigor and energy, enough to go home and still have an enjoyable evening with your family.

I bless you with wisdom and creativity to solve the problems that come your way.

I bless you with conversations around school that encourage you and lift up your spirit.

And I bless you with a new-found passion for your job, the job that is shaping the next generation.

Amen.