The blog home of speaker and writer Mindy von Atzigen

The blog home of speaker and writer Mindy von Atzigen I am a lover of words, Jesus, and His church. I am also a wife, a mom, and a friend. I hope you'll consider me yours...

The Joy of Respite

I always love to turn a calendar page, but I can not remember a time I have been so excitedly anticipating turning my weekly planner from one week to the next.  It's not that this week has been terrible, it's just that next week holds something precious---a respite.

It was my husband's idea.  After a season of intense labor in our ministry, he felt we both needed to take some time away on our own.  A time for each of us to get away from daily life to recharge, refuel and be re-envisioned.

He went first, driving a couple hours away to hole up in a borrowed cabin and plan out the church's vision for the new year, away from all distractions.  I could tell when he returned that he came back stronger and ready to impart what he had received.

And next week, it's my turn.  I was thrilled to see the cottage he chose for me to stay in has the beautiful word "respite" in its name.

Respite: a delay or cessation for a time, especially of anything distressing or trying; an interval of relief

And yes, I have some goals I would like to accomplish while I'm away.  Some things that have needed my attention, but are hard to devote mental energy to when I'm in the midst of daily urgencies.

But, on the top of my goal page is written a word with several lines drawn underneath it.  It's the same word I have displayed above my office door, where only I can see it and be reminded:  REST.

How long has it been since you've had a respite--just you, God, and your conversations with each other in a place away from home?  If you never have, or it's been years since you've done it, pray today and ask God if it's time.  I promise He's the best road trip friend imaginable.