The blog home of speaker and writer Mindy von Atzigen

The blog home of speaker and writer Mindy von Atzigen I am a lover of words, Jesus, and His church. I am also a wife, a mom, and a friend. I hope you'll consider me yours...

Praise In The Midst

Today has been a blessing.  It's the day the virus left the house.  For the past three weeks, my children and I have one by one taken turns running fever.  Only Dad remained unscathed.  First the body aches, then the fever, and then the sore throat and cough.  It hasn't been fun.

But, even in the midst of the mess, there have been blessings.

Holding each one of my children in my lap, smoothing their hair back from their foreheads.

Having each precious pair of arms encircle my neck, seeking comfort.

The slower pace.

Snuggling on the couch watching movies together.

Seeing my second son's eyes light up when I tried to tempt his appetite by bringing home his favorite cookies.

Finding the blessings in the midst of the mess.

It's what Paul wrote about in I Thessalonians 5:18, "give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

He didn't say to give thanks for all circumstances.  Some things are simply not good and should not be in our lives.  But, he did say to give thanks in all circumstances.  Even in the midst of bad things happening, I can give thanks to the God who gives only good gifts and praise Him for the way He redeems any situation.

And when I do, the mess gets less messy.  Even if it's just the mess in me.