The blog home of speaker and writer Mindy von Atzigen

The blog home of speaker and writer Mindy von Atzigen I am a lover of words, Jesus, and His church. I am also a wife, a mom, and a friend. I hope you'll consider me yours...

Choosing Joy

I am grateful that everyday I have a choice.  On the days when the whole world turns as it should and there is not a cloud on my horizon, it's easy to choose joy.  It's on the days when my life seems to be spinning a little off its axis that it becomes harder.  It's in those moments that the choice is most important.


When the car is making a funny noise....I can choose joy.


When my son's teacher calls and wants to talk about his attention span....I can choose joy.


When I spend an hour with a hurting friend and do my best to comfort....I can choose joy.


When I have to have the hard conversation....I can choose joy.


When my night was too short for the long day ahead....I can choose joy.


When the prayer seems to go unanswered....I can choose joy.


And I'm grateful.  Grateful that the choice is always before me.


"I will bless the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth.  My soul will make its boast in the Lord; the humble will hear it and rejoice."  (Psalm 34:1-2)


And when my mouth begins to confess His praise and make its boast in Him, my world rights itself, for I am the prophet of my own life.  When I speak His praise, my heart hears and responds.  Self-pity fades, and joy is uncapped.


Thank you, Lord, for the car that is almost paid for, for the way it has blessed our family.


Thank you for what you are developing in my son, for the man he is becoming.


Thank you for the way you love my friend and for the comforting arms of the Holy Spirit.


Thank you that iron sharpens iron and that friendships are stronger for it.


Thank you that in my weakness, you are made strong.


Thank you that you are always, always good.


Choosing joy clears my vision, and I see things for what they really are.  Choosing joy lifts my head and transforms my face.  It causes me to relax my grip on that which I am trying to control and lift my hand instead to hold His.  It makes the world turn as it should as I turn in His arms and we dance the dance of grace.


"O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt His name together.  I sought the Lord, and He answered me, and delivered me from all my fears.  They who look to Him are radiant, and their faces will never be covered in shame."  (Psalm 34:3-5)